Trailer Part 2

The Project:

Replaced the back wall of our trailer. It had a lot of rot in the wood members, so when I “gently brushed” the fence while backing in, it basically dissolved.

I peeled up the tin sheeting, removed the rotted plywood and 1×2 structure, and replaced it with 3/4″ plywood. It’s a bit heavier, but much more rigid.

The bottom half of the back wall is now slightly thinner, which changes the way that the sheet metal layed back down. It is going to need some more tweaking, but it is once again comfy and safe.

This corner saw the worst of it. I cut (but mostly brushed) away the rotted wood after peeling back the sheet metal.

I cut away some of the wall on the other side as well which was also in bad shape.

Finally, I ended up cutting away the whole wall, and measuring a piece to replace it with.

I ran a section of pressure treated 2×4 along the bottom to fasten the wall back to, and two sections of wood to match the existing angles.

At this point I realized the downside to working under sharp metal:

So I removed the metal completely, which made the work much easier.

I added some pocket holes to a strip of plywood and fixed it under the window.

I reinforced the corners with some cedar 2×2 pickets.

I added some metal brackets to brace these corner pickets, so I had to sand down some in the corners of the plywood before putting it in.

After confirming the fit, I drilled pocket holes all around the edge of the plywood, and fit it back in.

I mounted the plywood, rewired new trailer lights, and sprayed truck bed liner around the outside (around the outside, around the outside).

To cover the inside seam, I put two angled pieces of plastic in the gap.

I sprayed the rest of the outside with the bedliner. and added a strip of aluminum flashing under the top piece of siding I added silicone caulk over the staple holes.

Around the inside, I added the brackets back for the table, so that it can fold up and down to make the back bed.

Then I put the tin back in place. Stapled the seams, then covered them with butyl tape and then the aluminum moulding. There were some small gaps where the metal was misaligned or damaged, so I put silicone over all of the joints as well. I would like to find wider flanged mouldings to redo the corners with.

The Impracticality:

This was very time consuming, expensive, and frustrating. In other words, perfect!

I am not totally happy with the fit and finish, but I have some ideas of how to fix it up further, once I run out of more pressing projects.

I got this done the day before we took off to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park for a weekend. It’s been about 10 months, and no signs of leaks yet.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *